Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Pool Scene Is Vibrant

Okay!.....Okay!.....I'm sorry okay! It has been almost 8 WEEKS since Pool Hub last posted. There is absolutely no one to blame (except Chris Banks!), it's just something that happens from time to time. I suppose you could blame our lead sports reporter...Dory Trawler....who went on a seven week BENDER!!! But, if you only followed Pool Hub to read "Trawler's Trash" you need to get a new life anyway!

SO MUCH has happened in these past weeks in the Pool Scene throughout Nova Scotia it's hard to know where to start. I'll try to give a recap of as much as I remember then I'll I'll turn it over to Dory to finish things off. I can tell you this: CSNS had an EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL year with some incredibly deserving Champions in all their major events. Records were set at almost every tournament for participation from all levels. It was a blast to be a part of it and I'm looking forward to next year. Please go to CSNS's website (new and improved by Jennie Ross Saulnier) for every single detail. Hats off to execs Colin, Billy Mac, Craig, Dale and Jennie along with the directors.

Just as successful was the 2015 - 2016 created Atlantic 9 Ball Tour. Again, record participation from all over Atlantic Canada and quite likely the most successful Tour of its kind in North America!! Now that's something to be proud of! Great job T.J. Martin. For something that started when "two heads came together"!!?? Hey, ya gotta laugh sometimes!

Nova Scotia participated at the Canadian Open event through winners and qualifiers of our Provincial Events and also participated at the Canadian Amateur Championships with our winners and qualifiers. I think the highest finisher was Craig Teal as Runner Up in the 9 Ball Amateur in St. John. Not only does he run a great tournament....he can sure play as well.

The summer is filled with plenty of pool too. Once again the Silver Fox Classic will be run by Colin Maloney. I think we can all agree that this was the one key series last year that was most intrumental in reviving The Pool Scene in Nova Scotia. The first one is already over (nobody cares who won White, White and Abolit!) The second one is July 9th. Look for details on FaceBook.
Also, The 9 Ball Tour run by T.J. Martin is holding 3 events through the summer with 32 max. fields. Go to the Tour FaceBook page for details.

So every player from 0 to 90 (Stuart Carver!!) better get ready for a FANTASTIC 2016 - 2017 Season!

Now I'm going to turn it over to Dory Trawler, our esteemed (that's B.S.!) reporter to talk about the OTHER TEAM EVENTS taking place.

L-R Greg K, Lynanne C, Brian B, Jen P,, Karl L, Greg W, Dave K, Mike W.

A Dory Trawler Exclusive

Can everyone see the picture above? Can you see how "fuzzy" it is? Can you see how the two rejects on the right sorta "fade to black"? That's about my recollection of the day!

A few months ago Bedford started a "Colour of Bragging Rights" Team Event. 8 person teams played other 8 person teams. I wrote about them in past articles. As EVERYONE knows Tommy Gun's has been the clear winningest team. All events are held at Tommy Gun's. So, Weagle....yes, the same one who was part of Team Buddy's Buzz, along with Karas, Potter and Wilson....came up with the BRILLIANT idea of trying to create some HOME ROOM ADVANTAGE! They invited 4 of Tommy Gun's run of the mill players to play against Buddy's Buzz BEST! OF COURSE Tommy Gun's accepted!

So, on Sunday afternoon June 26th the four Tommy Gun's players Brian Bedford, Lynanne Cutler, Karl Larson, Greg Kaye and myself (it didn't feel that crowded with 5 of us  in the car!) drove to Lower Sackville. Understand that Weagle and potty mouth Potter had already been trashing them...in public! But being civil and professional, Tommy Gun's weathered the insults.

On the drive down Karl had never been to Buddy's so I tried to describe it to him. I said "you know how Locas has those big pillars out front?" Karl says "yes". I said "well Buddy's doesn't have those!" I said "you know the big, high ceilings at Locas?" Karl says "yes". I say "well Buddy's doesn't have that!" I say "you know all those big windows along the side of Locas?" Karl says "yyyeeesss". I say "well, you guessed it......Buddy's doesn't have any of those"! Karl said..."I think I get the picture!"

Just prior to actual play Jen had a few rules for her Scotch Doubles and Partner team mates:
- NO side shots!  She doesn't like them!
- NO moaning if she misses (I guess not during anything else either - but just guessing!)
- NO rolling your eyes

So, just to be fair, Bedford made a rule: Lynanne and Jen had to do all the racking and had to lean over...every time...to make sure the top ball was tight!
Now we were ready to play!!

Someone said there was to be no alcohol involved........so six players left!! That person was beat half to death and the players returned. I personally abstained from any alcohol consumption. I was there to report the facts.

Here's how things went: Weagle played as slow as molasses the entire day. Wilson and Bedford had the dumbest, jerkiest strokes (a wonder they even hit a ball!), Karas was right at the table the second it was his turn and 100% aware of EVERYTHING that was happending.....no, no, no that is not what happened.
Lynanne was clearly the best player on both teams. She made a 9 off the break! She made a 3 ball combo that she called! Karl and Greg K were steady all day. I think Bedford and Wilson had more ZERO's then the other six players combined. A lot of alcohol was consumed. The alcohol had no effect on Jen.....except I kept hearing "the OTHER left Jen"..whatever that meant!

The Winner's........TOMMY GUN's. It was so bad that part way through Greg says - "you know, I live in Mt. Uniacke.....I could join Tommy Gun's next time!!

Actually, it was one of the most enjoyable afternoons of pool for all 8 participants!!! And that's a fact! There were hugs all around, high 5's all around and a million laughs. Tommy Gun's won by ONE SINGLE POINT!
That my friends....IS WHAT POOL IS ALL ABOUT!


No comments:

Post a Comment